BEAN AND RICE CASSEROLE
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1 can red kidney beans (15 1/4 - 19 oz), drained and rinsed
- 1 can black beans (15 1/4 - 19 oz), drained and rinsed
- 1 can garbanzo beans (15 1/4 - 19 oz), drained and rinsed
- 1 can stewed tomatoes (14 1/2 - 16 oz), drained
- 1 can chopped mild chilies (4 oz), drained
- 10 ounces frozen green peas, thawed by placing under running water
- 1 cup frozen corn, thawed by placing under running water
- Preheat oven to 375
- 1. In a 5-qt Dutch oven over medium high heat, sauté onion in liquid of your choice (balsamic vinegar, olive oil, water) until tender, stirring occasionally.
- 2. Add rice; cook while stirring until parched and slightly opaque.
- 3. Add beans, tomatoes, chilies and 3 1/2 cups of water to rice and onion in Dutch oven and bring mixture to boil.
- 4. Cover tightly place in oven, baking until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed (around 1 hour for brown rice).
- 5. Add peas and corn, adjust seasonings, and return to oven until heated through.