GARDEN VEGETABLE SOUP
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups chopped leeks, white part only (from approximately 3 medium leeks)
- 2 tablespoons finely minced garlic
- 2 cups carrots, peeled and chopped into rounds (approximately 2 medium)
- 2 cups peeled and diced potatoes
- 2 cups fresh green beans, broken or cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 2 quarts vegetable broth
- 4 cups peeled, seeded, and chopped tomatoes
- 2 ears corn, kernels removed
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup packed, chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 1 - 2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1. Heat the olive oil in large, heavy-bottomed stockpot over medium-low heat. Once hot,
- add the leeks, garlic, and a pinch of salt and sweat until they begin to soften,
- approximately 7 to 8 minutes.
- 2. Add the carrots, potatoes, and green beans and continue to cook for 4 to 5 more
- minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 3. Add the stock, increase the heat to high, and bring to a simmer.
- 4. Once simmering, add the tomatoes, corn kernels, and pepper. Reduce the heat to low,
- cover, and cook until the vegetables are fork tender, approximately 25 to 30 minutes.
- 5. Remove from heat and add the parsley and lemon juice. Season, to taste, with kosher
- salt. Serve immediately.